Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dividend Increase: CNI

Canadian National Railway (CNI) is increasing its quarterly dividend by 14.7%, from C$0.375 to C$0.43 per share, putting the company on track for its 17th consecutive year of dividend growth (press release). Given that I own 20 shares of CNI, my quarterly dividend increases from $7.50 to $8.60 (before 15% foreign tax withholding), which will add an extra $4.40 to my annual dividend income. This dividend increase also boosts my yield on cost to 2.28%. Thus far this year, there have been dividend increases for 8 of the 26 dividend growth stocks in my portfolio.

8 comments:

  1. Is there any site in particular that you use to get updates on increases? I don't really want to set it up so google emails me articles about the companies I'm either invested in or thinking about because I get way too many emails as it is. That's a nice increase by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PIP: I wish there was a service that could be tailored to provide updates on dividend increases only. In the Excel file for my portfolio I have a column beside my dividend table that indicates when the last increase was announced (as determined from the company's investor relations website). I monitor for press releases around that date. Seeking Alpha does a pretty good job of reporting dividend changes, although they occasionally miss a few announcements.

      Delete
  2. Wow that's a nice raise. I see NSC decided to keep the same rate, I was half expecting them to do an increase. Not a cause for concern, but slightly disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CI: I'm pretty happy with the dividend increase from CNI. I also noticed that NSC maintained their quarterly dividend, but I anticipated that possibility in light of last year's operating results. However, I still expect an increase to be announced in late July or early August.

      Delete
  3. That's a nice raise. What's your opinion of Norfolk Southern (NSC). They've also consistently raised their dividend, although CNI looks like a great stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brett: I'm also a fan of NSC -- it's my largest position. :) Check my Transactions page for links to posts about it last year.

      Delete
  4. You really have avery nice blog,it's the first time to be here but it won't be the last untill then keep blogging..goodluck!

    ReplyDelete